Monday, October 18, 2010

'Conquering Hollywood'

Today I stumbled upon 'The Daily Telegraph' article entitled 'How Summer Bay Conquered Hollywood'.
Here's the link...http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/how-summer-bay-conquered-hollywood/story-e6frewt9-1225936433975

The article was of particular interest to me, because as the title suggests it revolves around 'Home and Away' actors 'making it' in Hollywood. I wondered how many of these actors had actually done so.

For those of you who don't know, or have never watched a 'Home and Away' episode, it is Australia's answer to 'The Young and the Restless', on a beach front location.



Source: http://au.tv.yahoo.com/home-and-away/
 Basically there are hookups, breakups, crime, bronzed bodies and the occasional death.

The above article resembles a profile on new 'Home and Away' starlet, Samara Weaving. However, the author Richard Clune also refers to past cast members in his attempt to instill in us that being on 'Home and Away' is the way to be successful in Hollywood.

I found it particularly irritating that the author mentioned Ms Weaving is well-known actor Hugo Weaving's niece on two separate occasions. Yes, I do feel readers may like to know that small detail but...we got you the first time mate!

To my surprise though this article wasn't as sensationalistic as many articles I am used to seeing in 'The Daily Telegraph'. Clune actually met with Samara Weaving in person and has obviously done his research. He has included useful quotations and details to help paint a picture for the audience. I can't help wonder why he didn't give us more of a profile though. The piece could have been stronger if he had done so.

My biggest issue with the article, however, was when Clune discusses past H & A stars and how they have 'conquered' Hollywood. Particularly Sharni Vinson the recent star of dance movie 'Step Up 3D'. Yes, the film did well in the box office but let's face it 'Step Up 3D' is no 'Schindlers's List'. No offense to Ms Vinson but I'm not 100% convinced people will remember who she is or what she was in in a few years time. I am completely aware that i sound a little harsh because i know this was her first 'big' role but i don't think we can classify a role in 'Step Up 3D' as 'conquering' Hollywood. There are some notable exceptions to this list, however. Some of the past H & A actors that have made a successful Hollywood career for themselves include Guy Pearce, Naomi Watts an Melissa George. I also want to point out though that you don't have to be on 'Home and Away' to make it in Hollywood  but the article fails to mention any of these other ways. The article did show me that Aussie's are continuing to infiltrate the US acting market and I wish them all the best in their endeavours.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. 'conquered' Hollywood~it is like a slogan~

    Ginger from MDIA5003

    Please come to my blog and leave your comment!All about 2012!

    Follow me!

    http://disaster2012news.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete